Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We're Here: Now what?

It's about 7:30 AM and I'm sitting here thinking about everything I want for us and how to go about getting it. I am primed to do this, but there is much organization and planning that needs to happen first. I struggle daily to apply forethought to the intermittent but powerful impulses that drive me. A person possessed of great energy and determination who learns to effectively plan how best to channel her or his efforts is the definition of "self-made".

Assessment of Current Condition:

I am 43. Not old by today's standards, but I'm no kid. I see the changes in my face, the bulge at my waistline. I am a middle-aged man. Younger people are assuming positions of power and because I don't share their value system or move in their social circles, I am less likely to matter to them. In the eyes of such people, with each passing day, I am more of a relic. This means that a part-time seasonal job at some big-box store is not a viable option for me, not that I wanted to do that anyway. Moreover, I have a fairly unique skill set. I am as handy with a laptop as I am with a drill, but I lack experience working professionally with my hands and while my computer skills fetch a good wage, this sluggish economy does not favor freelancers.

Whatever, which I use in the determined sense of the word rather than the apathetic. Why? Because for people like me, life is a perpetual obstacle course and, I'm almost sorry to say, we get our jollies
running over each one. I just don't care what it takes, my family will have theirs.

No comments: