Sunday, September 18, 2011

Adjustments II

The flipside of the human capacity to learn is that we are first curious. We would have no motivation to find out what we don't know if we didn't care to begin with. This is what separates us from rats and pigs who can thrive in their own filth as long as there is plenty to eat. Until we get the "why" that goes with the "wherefore", we are not at peace. Reaching rational conclusions brings about a sense of satisfaction within us. That's why the forensic analysis of a disaster is not only educational, it's therapeutic.

Though it drives wifey bananas, when things go wrong, I gather fragments, piece together the wreckage and look for the black box. Hey, It works for the NTSB.

Over the years, this sometimes obsessive tendency to analyze has paid off. Today, I am seldom caught off guard by the unexpected. Under this context, I have mulled over what I hereby dub the Meltdown in Midtown.

About a month ago, I disappointed some people who badly misjudged their positions in my world. Oh, the looks on their faces when...

No comments: